Forbidden Fruit, 6.8L PI 2v v10 build

OP
OP
Snorky

Snorky

Reaction score
Guessing you
I installed from the bottom, fully assembled, headers, trans, intake, hpipe all installed before putting it in the car. Wasn't too hard and did it by myself. Im glad i went tubular as the mounting holes in the bmr kmember are slotted left to right so you can offset the front assembly if youre needing clearance, You're gonna be super limited on header options for sure so it's likely gonna be a "buy what's available and cross your fingers" I'd look for whatever exhaust keeps it up tight to the headers the most. Kmember spacers give you all around clearance except the steering shaft which is gonna be a PITA regardless.
Guessing you added the hydroboost after the install. How did you go about lifting the car? Cherry picker on the radiator core support? Never installed an engine from the bottom. It sounds wayyy better. And the BMR units sound like quality pieces. I am not a fan of the UPR setup on my turbo car. Wish the turbo kit would clear a nicer K member on that. The headers i am leaning heavily towaeds those hedmans. I will probably order them when the heads are finished at the machine shop. As far as i know they havent even looked at them yet. Guys work log is booked solid! I will most likely go with an H pipe like you out of ease of installation. However i guess it comes down to what i find for sale.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The x or the H pipe both go on the same way and require the same effort. The yield a slightly different sound but I am not sure I have heard that one or the other has an HP advantage. I thought I was told at one point that the X-pipes tend to be more raspy but that is what I have had on my car for over a decade and would not call it raspy.

OP
OP
Snorky

Snorky

Reaction score
The x or the H pipe both go on the same way and require the same effort. The yield a slightly different sound but I am not sure I have heard that one or the other has an HP advantage. I thought I was told at one point that the X-pipes tend to be more raspy but that is what I have had on my car for over a decade and would not call it raspy.
It will be completely to do with price and sound, the power differences are negligible. My buddy flip flops between an off road H and a prochamber with his flowmaster setup and i can EASILY hear the tone differemce between them. Wild actially. Once we tossed on thr bassani off road X i had and it was downright vulgar lol couldn't help but laugh when driving it with that setup. Problem is i havent the slightest clue how this v10 is going to sound with its even firing order and having any other pipe on it than a Y pipe like all the truck exhaust clips. Going to be fun to find out though.

garrittpwl

Reaction score
Guessing you

Guessing you added the hydroboost after the install. How did you go about lifting the car? Cherry picker on the radiator core support? Never installed an engine from the bottom. It sounds wayyy better. And the BMR units sound like quality pieces. I am not a fan of the UPR setup on my turbo car. Wish the turbo kit would clear a nicer K member on that. The headers i am leaning heavily towaeds those hedmans. I will probably order them when the heads are finished at the machine shop. As far as i know they havent even looked at them yet. Guys work log is booked solid! I will most likely go with an H pipe like you out of ease of installation. However i guess it comes down to what i find for sale.
The hydroboost was in my car stock, all I did was unhook the lines at the booster on the firewall, not on the steering rack/PS pump. I installed all that hooked up to the engine before I sat the car down on it. Then it was just the couple lines that hooked up to the booster on the wall. As for lifting, I put the rear wheels on another set of wheels for stability in back, then pulled my front bumper off and lifted from the front bumper reinforcement. the attached picture is the moment I got my stock 4.6 out.

*should be noted, all you need to unhook suspension wise is the sway bar links and upper strut nuts when dropping from the bottom. I just disassembled before I did that because I knew I was going to need the knuckles off to have the steering holes enlarged for my bumpsteer kit.

Attachments

• 20211126_194026.jpg
    20211126_194026.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20211221_181234.jpg
    20211221_181234.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 28

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
No 4.6l made mid pipe will simply bolt onto a wider and taller engine such as a 5.4l or v10, especially with the v10 availabilities of exhaust manifolds not having the same hook up on the passenger side. Also the v10 available manifolds are not designed for the mustangs tight area like the original mustang manifolds are.

The H pipe was made easier over the X by adding length to the drop down pipes and added length to the H cossover for added width. This being said its still a pain in the ass installing. I can only imagine the pain v10 manifolds are going to be. Getting around the steering shaft has always been a problem in the cars with a 4.6l. The bigger engines compound this.

Im sure youll figure something out and its most definitely do-able.

I will suggest an aftermarket steering shaft to get away from the ragjoint that gets melted out from heat and the aftermarket shaft adds a tiny bit more room.

garrittpwl

Reaction score
No 4.6l made mid pipe will simply bolt onto a wider and taller engine such as a 5.4l....

The H pipe was made easier over the X by adding length to the drop down pipes and added length to the H cossover for added width. This being said its still a pain in the ass installing.
You say that but in my attached picture above you'll see a bbk hpipe worked without modification on my 5.4. Now a V10 is a different story of course

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
It will be completely to do with price and sound, the power differences are negligible. My buddy flip flops between an off road H and a prochamber with his flowmaster setup and i can EASILY hear the tone differemce between them. Wild actially. Once we tossed on thr bassani off road X i had and it was downright vulgar lol couldn't help but laugh when driving it with that setup. Problem is i havent the slightest clue how this v10 is going to sound with its even firing order and having any other pipe on it than a Y pipe like all the truck exhaust clips. Going to be fun to find out though.
Funny you mention the Bassani off road X. That is what I put on my car 3-4 years ago when my stock cats finally took a crap and I didn't want to pay the extra and was curious how much louder it was. It was louder than I liked with the cut outs closed and with them open I called it airport mode because all your arrival departures were announced.... Right before xmas 2 years ago I found a local add for brand new high flow cats for only $85 for the pair and got them and welded them on. I have been much happier now with the overall sound after that.

OP
OP
Snorky

Snorky

Reaction score
No 4.6l made mid pipe will simply bolt onto a wider and taller engine such as a 5.4l or v10, especially with the v10 availabilities of exhaust manifolds not having the same hook up on the passenger side. Also the v10 available manifolds are not designed for the mustangs tight area like the original mustang manifolds are.

The H pipe was made easier over the X by adding length to the drop down pipes and added length to the H cossover for added width. This being said its still a pain in the ass installing. I can only imagine the pain v10 manifolds are going to be. Getting around the steering shaft has always been a problem in the cars with a 4.6l. The bigger engines compound this.

Im sure youll figure something out and its most definitely do-able.

I will suggest an aftermarket steering shaft to get away from the ragjoint that gets melted out from heat and the aftermarket shaft adds a tiny bit more room.
I am concerned about that with the headers, the v10 ones just look like a fabrication project. Going to do what garritt suggested with the build on a K member out of the car and test fir it from underneath and just play that one by ear. The aftermarket steering shaft is a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion.
You say that but in my attached picture above you'll see a bbk hpipe worked without modification on my 5.4. Now a V10 is a different story of course
I will take any mid pipe i can find for a deal since any eill more than likely require some fab work.
Funny you mention the Bassani off road X. That is what I put on my car 3-4 years ago when my stock cats finally took a crap and I didn't want to pay the extra and was curious how much louder it was. It was louder than I liked with the cut outs closed and with them open I called it airport mode because all your arrival departures were announced.... Right before xmas 2 years ago I found a local add for brand new high flow cats for only $85 for the pair and got them and welded them on. I have been much happier now with the overall sound after that.
Hilarious that you mention that, back when i had the full bassani setup and the procharger i would take the car to my parents house and they would refer yo it as a jet.

I made somemore progress. I got the rotating assembly in the mail yesterday heading to atlanta georgia for balancing. Apparently next to no places have the quantity of bob weights to balance the thing (10 bob weights). So i am sending it to the balancing machine manufacturer since they said they could do it. This project keeps getting more and more interesting as things go. While i was packing it up i laser etched all of the rod caps 1 through 10 with an arrow pointing to the front of the crank. Will.akethw reassembly much easier when it all gets back. I guess aside from putting the turbo carback together. All i have left to do is paint the engine block ceramic black. Then it is just the waiting game. Wonder what will be finished first, the balance job, ported heads, or the billet comp cams.

garrittpwl

Reaction score
I am concerned about that with the headers, the v10 ones just look like a fabrication project. Going to do what garritt suggested with the build on a K member out of the car and test fir it from underneath and just play that one by ear. The aftermarket steering shaft is a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion.

I will take any mid pipe i can find for a deal since any eill more than likely require some fab work.

Hilarious that you mention that, back when i had the full bassani setup and the procharger i would take the car to my parents house and they would refer yo it as a jet.

I made somemore progress. I got the rotating assembly in the mail yesterday heading to atlanta georgia for balancing. Apparently next to no places have the quantity of bob weights to balance the thing (10 bob weights). So i am sending it to the balancing machine manufacturer since they said they could do it. This project keeps getting more and more interesting as things go. While i was packing it up i laser etched all of the rod caps 1 through 10 with an arrow pointing to the front of the crank. Will.akethw reassembly much easier when it all gets back. I guess aside from putting the turbo carback together. All i have left to do is paint the engine block ceramic black. Then it is just the waiting game. Wonder what will be finished first, the balance job, ported heads, or the billet comp cams.
my 5.4 build literally took an extra year waiting on all the sublet work. the only machine shop I trust is usually backed up 6 months at any given time though. I'm really interested in your build. Makes me wish I went that route honestly.

OP
OP
Snorky

Snorky

Reaction score
my 5.4 build literally took an extra year waiting on all the sublet work. the only machine shop I trust is usually backed up 6 months at any given time though. I'm really interested in your build. Makes me wish I went that route honestly.

That is a wild amount of time for machining. I believe it though, makes me want to learn how to hone and line bore. Collect some machines... ahhh i dont know man.. that 5.4 2v is SO sick. On my green car i was at a crossroads between a 4.6 turbo build and a centri 5.4 2v.. in retrospect i wish i went with the centri 5.4. Would have had 7 great years of regular use and play out of it instead of a violent jackstand queen that seems to resent me. Either way. I think you made the right choice. grass is always greener

OP
OP
Snorky

Snorky

Reaction score
I have been very busy working on my tuRbo car.. which i will make a thread about soon. So since i have a lot of waiting to do on critical engine components, i have decided to address other critical areas. Namely the fuel rails. So i ordered 5 ft of 8 AN fuel rail extrusion and a 14mm O ring injector contour mill.

20220603_172911.jpg

Next I measured out the spacing and offsets on my 4.6 divisionX rails. Fixtured the rails in the bridgeport and got to work. I really want to make 8 an ORB fittings, but the 9/16 contour mill to do the job is stupid expensive, so i will probably just tap it 3/8 NPT instead. Until i make that decision I will test fit the rails and sketch out some brackets to make. As well as check to see if they will clear COPs.. if not i may have to mill clearance slots in them. I will also consider doing this same process to some 6AN extrusion so i can have some options since these 8AN rails are overkill.

20220618_104651.jpg

20220618_111454.jpg

20220618_111502.jpg

OP
OP
Snorky

Snorky

Reaction score
Nice work. Looks good

Blak, think an orb fitting would work if you stood the rail up in the bridgeport. Indicated the ID of the tube on both axis to find center. Tap it, then use an endmill the size of the O Ring to cut a relief and just chamfer the edges? It would be very time consuming and challenging trying to fixture the rail being that they are 20+ inches long. Lol. Or do you think i should say screw it and tap it NPT. Any suggestion for a sealant on the threads?

OP
OP
Snorky

Snorky

Reaction score
Started making some brackets at work :-D I am hoping i can finish these up tomorrow so i can mark them up for the mounting holes on the brackets and rails. 20220707_162218.jpg
20220707_162210.jpg

OP
OP
Snorky

Snorky

Reaction score
are you going to have the rails anodized?
Yes, most likely. When i am finished I will see if i can toss them and the brackets in with the next black anodize batch we send out. Would be sweet!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
If yer feeling like customizing them more send them my way and I can throw them on my laser and engrave something fun on them for ya.

OP
OP
Snorky

Snorky

Reaction score
If yer feeling like customizing them more send them my way and I can throw them on my laser and engrave something fun on them for ya.
How big of an item can it fit, these rails are 20" long without fittings on the ends, LOL we have a mini laser etcher here but no way will these rails fit in that bad boy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online