Fourth day ownership got hit now build thread.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
https://lmr.com/item/M6067D46/1996-2004-Mustang-46L-2V-Gt-Ford-Racing-Head-Changing-Kit

Here is a complete kit normally used by the masses. You can save some coin by individually ordering the left and right side headgaskets, exhaust gaskets, and skipping out on the bolts by re-using your stock headbolts. Their are online coupons for O'reillys that will save 20-30% making each hg around $35.

If you decide the non-kit route, buy the felpro 1141R and 1141L head gaskets. Most parts houses dont have them on the shelf, but can get them to you normally in a day. The felpro permatorque 9790pt2 and 9792pt2 is whats usually on the shelf and these gaskets are awesome gaskets. Only drawback is reduce performance. Try to get either the kit or the 1141R/1141L felpro

mustangmurley

Reaction score
What about the head gaskets?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Head gaskets should be fine I used the ford racing gaskets on mine. What about your oil dip stick situation? I'm pretty sure the PI swap requires the 99-04 dip stick but when I had tried it the part I got didn't work I'm unsure I was shipped the wrong dip stick or what but I ended up having to buy a lokar flexible dip stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Head gaskets should be fine I used the ford racing gaskets on mine. What about your oil dip stick situation? I'm pretty sure the PI swap requires the 99-04 dip stick but when I had tried it the part I got didn't work I'm unsure I was shipped the wrong dip stick or what but I ended up having to buy a lokar flexible dip stick.

If the heads are romeo to romeo then the dipstick should work. OP can you get a picture of how the dipstick mounts to the engine?

mustangmurley

Reaction score
If the heads are romeo to romeo then the dipstick should work. OP can you get a picture of how the dipstick mounts to the engine?

Romeo to Romeo be true! I had trouble removing my dipstick from the block it did not want to come out and got busted up getting it out thats why I had to buy a new one. But here are a couple pics of where I mounted it in the bay off the brake line bracket, I'll have to crawl under there to get a pic of how its ran.
ae4d05c4b004d791408a38ba250e78e2.jpg

9c3e1d7c9914d655b1497141031f98cc.jpg

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
https://lmr.com/item/M6067D46/1996-2004-Mustang-46L-2V-Gt-Ford-Racing-Head-Changing-Kit

Here is a complete kit normally used by the masses. You can save some coin by individually ordering the left and right side headgaskets, exhaust gaskets, and skipping out on the bolts by re-using your stock headbolts. Their are online coupons for O'reillys that will save 20-30% making each hg around $35.

If you decide the non-kit route, buy the felpro 1141R and 1141L head gaskets. Most parts houses dont have them on the shelf, but can get them to you normally in a day. The felpro permatorque 9790pt2 and 9792pt2 is whats usually on the shelf and these gaskets are awesome gaskets. Only drawback is reduce performance. Try to get either the kit or the 1141R/1141L felpro
Don't I need new head bolts? Don't they get torqued down and are bad afterwards?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I wont re-use stock bolts. Ford says they are TTY (torque to yeild). [MENTION=14727]96blak54[/MENTION] has the ability to do a little better R&D than average joes like us, and has the inside scoop on some things. That being said, I believe that if you have the cash to do the bolts then do it. If the bolts are the make it or break part in this build then i would wait and save a little more cash.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
I wont re-use stock bolts. Ford says they are TTY (torque to yeild). [MENTION=14727]96blak54[/MENTION] has the ability to do a little better R&D than average joes like us, and has the inside scoop on some things. That being said, I believe that if you have the cash to do the bolts then do it. If the bolts are the make it or break part in this build then i would wait and save a little more cash.
Gonna order them. Also was looking at some exhaust bolts arp header bolts

mustangmurley

Reaction score
Yeah, its been acting funky. Anyway, as far as timing stuff that should be good. Now you will just need all your gaskets.

Check eBay for intake gasket kits when I was looking around they had some kits that sold the water pump nipple, new injector o rings, and some other little things.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
More Pi parts arriving today I'm stoked. Going to machine shop today after school. Will update later

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
So the heads aren't done yet, I had issues with the cam order. Canceled it then reordered from summit. Blue oval chips ford Racing intake manifold on the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online