My engine rebuild thread!

Zutz23

Reaction score

I have a 2v engine sitting. I m dying to forge it and drop it into my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So here’s the final dyno numbers. All said and done I gained 70 ft lbs torque and 40hp. Needless to say I am severely disappointed given all the time, work and money I’ve put into it to arrive at 267max torque and 202 max hp. But that’s how Cali-fucking-Fornia with the FOUR cat requirement on this car fucks you I guess.

The dyno guys knew I was disappointed and informed me of an off-road H-pipe that, if I can get one in CA, is a direct swap R&R for the cat section of my choked down, gagging exhaust.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Man, I’m not sure the cats are going to get you 100hp. Those are stock kind of hp numbers. I’m upset for you.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
thats no joke I had mine put on a dyno during a dyno day when it was bone stock and it was 187/250 I thought. That was with stock cats, stock air filter, stock everything. Its been a while what was the build list again? Is it running reliably now at least?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, it’s running great now. No dying or spun rpm’s, thankfully, as that was embarrassing though no fault of my own. Think I’m just gonna run it as is and enjoy it for what it is! :)

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
347 stroker: Scat rotating assembly; AFR 165 CARB-approved heads; Comp cam

Wmac

Reaction score
Daryl, can you post the dyno sheet?

And if I can ask, what fuel pump, what maf, injectors and throttle body?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
something isn't right imo but I am not an engine expert by any means, still working on my youtube cert. Where is black?

joemomma

Reaction score
Yeah that seems really low. Again, I'm no expert, but I play one on the interwebs from time to time. With a 347 with that H/C/I you should be pushing over 300w. The heads may be holding you back a little, but not 100hp. I agree with the others, something seems amiss.

How does it feel driving? Is there another shop around you could book some dyno time on? Maybe their dyno is whack.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
At work until 1:00, then errands. Will gather info and field questions, etc. Stand by!!

joe65

Reaction score
wow, yeah something's not right. just the heads alone should wake up a basic 302 but a 347. tune is not right. Sorry but the cats don't choke a na that much. I've gone from the stock 4 cats on a mach 1 to an x with 2 cats and it wasn't a noticeable difference except sound.

TrickVert

Reaction score
The stock cats actually flow well*, so unless your cats are cooked, that's not likely your problem. I agree that there's something else going on. My HCI 302 with GT40P's made 272 RWHP and 302 lb-ft TQ before the Vortech was installed.

*From THIS FORUM ARTICLE - Super Ford, May 1996:

"Before proceeding with our exhaust modifications, we wanted to try a set of off-raod pipes with the stock headers and mufflers. Off-road pipes, which bolt in place of the factory catalytic converters, are not street legal, but many 5.0 Mustang owners bolt them on for the drag strip or road course. So after our Phase 1 bolt-ons and before discarding the stock headers and mufflers for Phase 2, we slipped in a set of off-road pipes from Pacesetter. We immediately noticed a more high-performance growl from the stock mufflers. On the Dynojet, the off-road pipes picked up 5.5 horsepower."

Last edited:

TrickVert

Reaction score
Daryl: I just thought of something - Where do you live (altitude), and were those readings actual or corrected for sea level? Mine were corrected values. Actual here is probably 25% lower.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The altitude where I live and work is 305’ above sea level

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What would be a good size injector to run given my set up? If memory serves from reading an earlier worksheet invoice, 42# comes to mind.

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
honestly if the injectors were holding you back the tuner should have been able to see that and then try to sell you the parts. 42 lb would be more than enough but you will need another tune for them :( or a maf that is made to work with them. The maf can work but if we are already suspecting problems I am not sure I would say to go that way.

TrickVert

Reaction score
My N/A combo above was using 24# injectors. According to THIS CHART, 32's should be adequate for yours, but 42# squirters could be tuned in OK as well. Also according to that chart, my 42#-ers should not be enough for me now with ~ 475 HP (corrected) at the motor, but they're no problem. Of course, at sea level, maybe they'd max out. I'll have to remember that. Knowing what I do today, though, I would've gone with 60's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online