My "re" build thread - Trick flow/turbo build

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Pulled the trigger today. Ordered MHS prepped 38cc Trick Flow heads, 125lb springs, and Gen 2 Stage 3 turbo cams. Comes assembled with Ford GT rockers/followers. Bullet is about 2 weeks backed up on cams, so probably won't see everything for 3 weeks or so. Real excited to see how these cams perform with the turbo. Jordan thinks I'll be able to spin it 7000-7,300 with my setup and these cams and I should see full boost on the Precision 7675 at around mid 3,000 rpm's.

Wichers123

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger today. Ordered MHS prepped 38cc Trick Flow heads, 125lb springs, and Gen 2 Stage 3 turbo cams. Comes assembled with Ford GT rockers/followers. Bullet is about 2 weeks backed up on cams, so probably won't see everything for 3 weeks or so. Real excited to see how these cams perform with the turbo. Jordan thinks I'll be able to spin it 7000-7,300 with my setup and these cams and I should see full boost on the Precision 7675 at around mid 3,000 rpm's.
My setup I rev to 6250 and have taken it to 6500 and didn't really see a need to. Let the turbo tell you what it needs. Sometimes it will fall off on the top. I have instant 12 at 3200 with my 66mm. On foot brake I bring it to 2300-3000 and let the turbo whistle and then let off and it's on full boost.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet man. Higher RPM's with a turbo would be nice!
The dyno curve will be dictated by the cam profile and overall induction/restruction. there comes a point where you can't force any more air through. The way a turbo spools up mid rpm then builds from there... rpm's are good. i'm interested to see how it turns out.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Sweet man. Higher RPM's with a turbo would be nice!
The dyno curve will be dictated by the cam profile and overall induction/restruction. there comes a point where you can't force any more air through. The way a turbo spools up mid rpm then builds from there... rpm's are good. i'm interested to see how it turns out.

Thanks man. Ultimate goal is 800rwhp+ through the auto. What heads/cams are you running?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Great choice Mike!

What does Jordan say about the cam profiles and TF heads? Does he believe what L&M was saying?

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Great choice Mike!

What does Jordan say about the cam profiles and TF heads? Does he believe what L&M was saying?

Are you referencing the TF specific grind? If so, yeah he is fully on board with what L&M found and is aware of the reversed lobe for these heads. I believe its L&M, MHS, and CMS that are all doing TF specific grinds.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What was the price of just the cams? Are they trying to jack up the price of TF specific grinds like L&M?

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
What was the price of just the cams? Are they trying to jack up the price of TF specific grinds like L&M?

It's $600 for TF specific grind cams from Jordan, and free shipping. I believe Cushman is around $570, but $10 in shipping, so its only about a $20 difference between those companies. I just think its crazy that L&M can charge $850 for 2v grind cams. I highly doubt if you did back to back dyno's or 1320's with L&M cams vs MHS or CMS there would be any difference. I don't know why they are making it seem like some secret

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I can almost promise you if one should contact compcams, they had it figured out some time ago!

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I can almost promise you if one should contact compcams, they had it figured out some time ago!

What you talking about? L&M is the only company who has the secret cam grind card in their safe.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Exactly! Its mechanical folks. Im sure TFS knew exactly what was needed when they shedded a million into aftermarket heads to an otherwise underdog engine. One may want to look towards TFS ground cams.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Comp and TF did not have it figured out.

Comp was suggesting off the shelf 270's for use in TFS heads.

Trick Flows own 2V cams do not have the provisions included.

L&M was indeed the company that figured out there was an issue when people were unable to degree both banks to spec.

I will give them their props for figuring out the issue, I just won't overpay for that info.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Question for you guys. I paid for MHS to go the full 9 yards on my head/cam package, and they are completely installing the cams/rockers/etc and will also be degreeing the cams. I just had someone ask me how they can do that if they don't have MY specific block and timing chains and that's the only true way to get them properly degreed. Is this something I should be worried about, or is there any truth behind this? Why would MHS and CMS offer this degree service if when I got the setup back it would be off?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I remember Nick saying as long as he had the cams and gears he could get them setup and pin/weld the crank gear to where it need to be. I thought they should also ask for the chains so they can mark them for you. They do provide all the measurements with the service so you can check.

Wichers123

Reaction score
Some people like todd warren beat a dead horse because they feel their knowledge is far more superior than anyone else. He also tried to tell me that the 5.4 heads don't have straighter bigger internal port measurements when black96 has the proof here. Some people are jelly of the big names making money and he's not.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I remember Nick saying as long as he had the cams and gears he could get them setup and pin/weld the crank gear to where it need to be. I thought they should also ask for the chains so they can mark them for you. They do provide all the measurements with the service so you can check.

That makes sense. I don't see why they would need my block/crank. But like you said as long as I have the crank sprockets pinned and the crank sprocket set to where it needs to be, I don't think I should have any problem with the chain. Just wanted some opinions on the matter.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Some people like todd warren beat a dead horse because they feel their knowledge is far more superior than anyone else. He also tried to tell me that the 5.4 heads don't have straighter bigger internal port measurements when black96 has the proof here. Some people are jelly of the big names making money and he's not.

That's reassuring. Appreciate the feedback. I just dropped a ton of money and would suck if this isn't going to go as I'm planning lol. Hows the meth coming along?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I dont want to point fingers. I do understand this post. Out there are some good minds, but we need to be together....a community! Some folks just cant move forward positive. Degrade, bash, and present negative comments is a reflection of who they are. Although I love'em. They need daddy's too. Damned fatherless nation!

Wichers123

Reaction score
That's reassuring. Appreciate the feedback. I just dropped a ton of money and would suck if this isn't going to go as I'm planning lol. Hows the meth coming along?
It's good I wasted the two bottles you gave me because I hooked the solenoid up backwards and it sucked all the fluid out the tank on the way home. I figured that out and then decided to added the third nozzle and I use it as you did and it works great. Last I checked it was 98* and I was running 138* cruising and when I got on it, the temps went down to 122* without meth I'm looking at 160-180* iats. So it's working great. Only had to pull .5afr to put me back where I was in my map.

Wichers123

Reaction score
I dont want to point fingers. I do understand this post. Out there are some good minds, but we need to be together....a community! Some folks just cant move forward positive. Degrade, bash, and present negative comments is a reflection of who they are. Although I love'em. They need daddy's too. Damned fatherless nation!
Yeah I never understood that. Now I understand the mmr hate but the general bashing of people coming up with new information and ideas or acting like your the top of the knowledge is stupid. Hate to say it but the Honda game been on top 20+ years ad head of mustang/ls crowds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online