My "re" build thread - Trick flow/turbo build

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
It's good I wasted the two bottles you gave me because I hooked the solenoid up backwards and it sucked all the fluid out the tank on the way home. I figured that out and then decided to added the third nozzle and I use it as you did and it works great. Last I checked it was 98* and I was running 138* cruising and when I got on it, the temps went down to 122* without meth I'm looking at 160-180* iats. So it's working great. Only had to pull .5afr to put me back where I was in my map.

haha, hey it happens. Glad you got it straightened out. You going to have any ET comparisons/dyno comparisons from before/after?

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
So I've gone on a rampage and pulled the trigger on tons of stuff. Will be waiting for 2-4 weeks for some of this stuff to arrive, but I'm going to take it easy after this for a little.

Shortblock - Diamond 19cc pistons were on a 2 week back order, once pistons get to machine shop I should be able to finish up the short block. Final assembly of short block will consist of my 97 block .030 over, Cobra 8 bolt crank, Manley H beam rods, ARP2000 hardware, Diamond 19cc pistons with H13 wrist pins, and Total Seal AP rings

Heads/cams - Ordered from MHS. Bullet Racing is 2-3 weeks backordered. Just waiting on them to get the cams to MHS and they should ship out.

Bought new Felpro head gaskets yesterday, new Edelbrock fuel rails, and ID1000 injectors with PNP adaptors that will plug right up to my existing harness.

Just ordered the hot side for the turbo from CG Fabrications - went with the race version, PW46 flange for WG, and upgraded 4" down pipe - this is 4 weeks turnaround time.

Going to take a break for a little until I start to get all this stuff showing up and I should be able to pretty close have entire long block/hotside assembled

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Thats an awesome list right there! How are you planning to run exhaust, will it be out the back like it is already? Also, what was the need for ordering edelbrock rails again? I thought thats why you had already.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Thats an awesome list right there! How are you planning to run exhaust, will it be out the back like it is already? Also, what was the need for ordering edelbrock rails again? I thought thats why you had already.

I'm either going to run open Downpipe or run it out the front bumper. Most likely won't run it out the back at all.

I sold my initial Edelbrock rails with intentions of going with some black rails from MMR to match my whole matte black theme I'm going for, but when I mocked them up it was way too much black and the aluminum Edelbrock rails added a nice contrast, so I ended up just buying new ones again lol

Wichers123

Reaction score
I'm either going to run open Downpipe or run it out the front bumper. Most likely won't run it out the back at all.

I sold my initial Edelbrock rails with intentions of going with some black rails from MMR to match my whole matte black theme I'm going for, but when I mocked them up it was way too much black and the aluminum Edelbrock rails added a nice contrast, so I ended up just buying new ones again lol
Haha powder coat slick wet black looks good with a matte black manifold. Ask me how I know? Lol

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
I have some edelbrock rails I could've sold you. Could've made you a deal on these bad boys too! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I have some edelbrock rails I could've sold you. Could've made you a deal on these bad boys too! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haha yeah yeah. Luckily they aren't that expensive or else I'd be kicking myself for that

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Got the new rails in and ID1000 injectors with plug and play adapters

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Next step I'll probably pull the trigger shortly on the turbo. Decided on a Precision CEA 76/75 and most likely a .96 AR. Precision offers a $125 service where they ceramic coat the exhaust housing...would this ever be worth the price? I'm also going to slap a turbo blanket on there, so maybe it wouldn't be money well spent. I'm either going with a PTP or Thermal Zero lava blanket or the DEI Ultra47...thoughts/experiences?

https://www.maperformance.com/produ...-for-t3-t4-flange-turbochargers-fpro35-011-04

https://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Zero-UNIVERSAL-turbochargers-Turbonetics/dp/B00QW9OTFA

http://www.jegs.com/p/DEI/DEI-Ultra-47-Turbo-Shields/3536609/10002/-1

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I did not, do you think its necessary for a street car?
When you say street car, im thinking n/a or forced induced stock. "Not" bored, tfs heads, turbo'd. Im not a fan of the aluminum block and you may know those doing fine with a similar setup. Wet sleeving would help eliminate some common bore distortion associated with the stock block. But, like I stated im not paying attention to the big hp fellows. You see more than me. I was just curious and didnt see anything about sleeves.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
When you say street car, im thinking n/a or forced induced stock. "Not" bored, tfs heads, turbo'd. Im not a fan of the aluminum block and you may know those doing fine with a similar setup. Wet sleeving would help eliminate some common bore distortion associated with the stock block. But, like I stated im not paying attention to the big hp fellows. You see more than me. I was just curious and didnt see anything about sleeves.

My block is a good ol' iron Romeo

Wichers123

Reaction score
Get the housing coated because that will help the blanket live longer. They do burn up after awhile and they need to be changed over time to keep them from breaking down. Made a major difference in heat protection. If I could wrap my hotside a second layer I would but that's more money. All my stuff is coated and wrapped.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Get the housing coated because that will help the blanket live longer. They do burn up after awhile and they need to be changed over time to keep them from breaking down. Made a major difference in heat protection. If I could wrap my hotside a second layer I would but that's more money. All my stuff is coated and wrapped.

Do you have your Hotside coated or wrapped? When you're referencing a coating to the actual hot side is it a ceramic base coating?

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Got a little bit of an update. Got my custom 6061 sheet metal plenum, wanted a cleaner look so moved all the bungs to the rear. My hot side from CG Fab shipped and will be here Wednesday. My pistons from Diamond finally got to machine shop so that will be rebalanced and ready for short block assembly next week. Only thing still waiting on is heads/cams from MHS.

Looking for some feedback. I'm going for the wrinkle black look throughout the engine, and want to pull the trigger on the turbo/blanket soon. What are your guys opinions. Wrinkle black turbo with lava blanket, or polished turbo with black blanket?

Polished w/ black blanket look:

This is gloss black, i would do wrinkle, but you get the idea with black turbo/lava blanket:

Which look do you guys like better? I'm really torn and keep going back and forth

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online