Not so productive build

OP
OP
J

Jp6.0

Reaction score
I have been considering getting turn signals like that myself. On some cars I like them, some I don't but your look cool.

I agree. Some cars can not pull it off at all. I debate going back to factory look all the time, but I think I’ll leave it for now.

OP
OP
J

Jp6.0

Reaction score
So... what is y’all’s best advice on tuning/ecu upgrades? I have been looking at ms3 pro just because it seems like a plug and play “as in I won’t have to do anything to my gauges for them to work”. Outside of that I am trying to figure out if that is my best option?

Any advice from people running this system or from anyone running anything else would be much appreciated.

OP
OP
J

Jp6.0

Reaction score
stand alone (ms, holley, aem etc) or a good tuner that can use software like a sct
stand alone (ms, holley, aem etc) or a good tuner that can use software like a sct

I definitely want to go stand alone after the new setup is done under the hood. The ms has been the one I been going to.

As for the pictures I will definitely post some along the way. I will take plenty of what I got planned for under the car and the motor. It’s all going to be done by me so I’ll take plenty along the way.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
there are a few of us that have gone with holley EFI and I have not heard any real complaints about it other than price and its not plug and play. They offer great service well after the purchase through tech support though and I forgot the price and have been happy with it ever since.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Plug and play setup, definitely go with the megasquirt plug and play. Holley is really nice, but the factory gauges aren’t going to work anymore.

OP
OP
J

Jp6.0

Reaction score
I have about 2 bigger things to buy, the ecu being one of them and then it will be down to the little things I have missed along the way.... we all know how the little things can hit you.

now will be if I switch out the si blower to a bigger blower or do a turbo.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
realistically the factory gauges are crap short of the speedo, tach and voltage and deciding on a system to keep them seems backwards to me.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
It’s not just the gauges though. It’s the body module, the fuel pump driver module, the ccrm, the air conditioning. With anything other than that plug and play megasquirt, he has to rewire the car.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
It’s not just the gauges though. It’s the body module, the fuel pump driver module, the ccrm, the air conditioning. With anything other than that plug and play megasquirt, he has to rewire the car.
I know as I did it. But I will say again if your going for an aftermarket ecu why in gods name do you want to keep the stock gauges? I would think your doing it because you want more control of the tune and want more info available? I am sure you can hook up a laptop to see it but your not going to enjoy that ride much with it(I know I do it as well for data logging). Even if you do the megasquirt do yourself a favor and get a digital dash that can show what you want or need to see not what ford dumbs down for you to see.

OP
OP
J

Jp6.0

Reaction score
I have been looking into the ms, terminator x, and a few others like fueltech and what not. I have ran Holley stuff on a previous ls build, but from my understanding even the kit for the 4.6 is built around the ls. The other few kits I have looked at outside of the ms kit and Holley kit is a little high for what I’m building “I am sticking to somewhat of a budget”.

As for the ms vs the Holley I don’t personally know because I have never messed with the megasquirt only read about it. I agree the factory gauges are trash for sure, but with that being said I am still on somewhat of a budget unfortunately. That is the main reason I have been leaning to the ms. From what I read it seems to be the easiest one to install and mess with.

I have built a few things where I had to make stuff work, build my own harness, build brackets, and just spent way too much time and money for what it was worth lol. This car I have tried to keep it as 2v 4.6 mustang gt as I can, but still handle a decent amount of hp. That is why I left it a 2v and didn’t go 4v or put a 5.0 in it. I just really didn’t want to mess with that on this car. I guess that’s why the Holley kit was kinda second to the ms but I will continue to research on what will do best for me.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Yes I sure have. I ran megasquirt with my 2v, ran microsquirt for my trans. Then built custom harnesses and circuits to run MS with my coyote. Then went with Holley HP. For a 2v build, I would not hesitate to use MS again especially if it’s plug and play because that makes it easy and the ins and outs are limited by only your imagination and compared only to the Holley dominator which is more expensive. The tuning softwares are both pretty easy to navigate but the Holley does more stuff in the background where in the megasquirt you basically have to tell it everything to do.

OP
OP
J

Jp6.0

Reaction score
I truly appreciate the help guys. I know very little about these motors and only a little more than that about the cars. This is my very first 4.6 I have personally owned. I have turned wrenches on them back when I was a mechanic full time, but nothing performance. It was all just swapping reman motors, tune ups, and timing parts. With that being said I know I’ll ask simple questions and probably questions asked 10+ years ago, so I apologize in advance.

OP
OP
J

Jp6.0

Reaction score
Yes I sure have. I ran megasquirt with my 2v, ran microsquirt for my trans. Then built custom harnesses and circuits to run MS with my coyote. Then went with Holley HP. For a 2v build, I would not hesitate to use MS again especially if it’s plug and play because that makes it easy and the ins and outs are limited by only your imagination and compared only to the Holley dominator which is more expensive. The tuning softwares are both pretty easy to navigate but the Holley does more stuff in the background where in the megasquirt you basically have to tell it everything to do.

Thank you sir I appreciate the info. I keep going to the ms3 and reading and it seems like the easiest to me. The price also has my eye not going to lie.

OP
OP
J

Jp6.0

Reaction score
Has anyone else had issues of getting packages from the northeast? I have a few things coming from NJ and it’s like they take forever to move. One has been right at a month.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Has anyone else had issues of getting packages from the northeast? I have a few things coming from NJ and it’s like they take forever to move. One has been right at a month.
some times its ups that are the problem to , but then I always have bad luck with them

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online