Open for suggestions - Centrifical or Roots Blower

96 blue moon

Reaction score
I am stuck between getting a Procharger or a Kenne Belle! :rant: What concerns me is that I have installed Stage 2 P.I. Heads, P.I. intake, 262 non P.I. comp cams, Fel pro multilayer headgaskets, SCT tuner and ARP headstuds. I am sure that my compression raised to 10.6 - 1 when I did the PI head swap so I know that I cannot go no more than 6 pounds of boost with my stock non PI lower end. I was leaning towards the Kenne Belle but I have not decided. My car has 75,000 miles and well taken care of with a 5-speed. What kind of blower are you guys running with a P.I. head swap?
I am open for suggestions. Thanks :thumb: :thumb:

ripper

Reaction score
Most guys will tell you 10.5:1 is too much compression for a blower and they are right. Your car will always be on the edge of disaster. You will never be able to run high boost unless you use 7 dollar a gallon race fuel. Why didnt you change out to dished pistons when you did the headswap? You have blower heads and nitros cylinders. You may be ok with 6lbs of boost i guess but thats gonna get old fast lol. With your setup and dished pistons you could have been makin 450rwhp.

OP
OP

96 blue moon

Reaction score
Stevo, At the time I was going to stay NA but after doing the headswap I noticed the power gain had improved alot. :banana: In the back of my mind I was going to install nitrous that's why I installed multilayer headgaskets and ARP headstuds. I knew that my compression would be high when I did the swap because of the flat top pistons. I did all the work to my motor myself as I am a mechanic and been around the modular motors for a while. I guess I was just wondering is it even worth spending alot of money installing a blower with my setup or just stick with nitrous. If I go with nitrous then I can keep my C&L pipe that already has a spot for the fogger. I might just pull the motor again and this time rebuild the lower end.

ripper

Reaction score
Hmmmmm ok hows this sound lol. I know nitros is a pain in the ass. And im thinkin this isnt your DD. So..... Go get a KB and push it to the limits. I made 425hp with 14lbs of boost on a non pi motor with a procharger. Of course i didnt make that for long lol.

BMOREstang

Reaction score
if your decide to boost your stang a roots type blower will be more compatible with your high compression

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
well I have rode in both roots and centi and I can tell you that for a DD car the roots is wayyyy more fun than the centi blown car. Boost is instant with the roots and the centi has to build up boost, I love that instant power from the roots :naughty:

OP
OP

96 blue moon

Reaction score
That is what I have heard about the roots blower is that you get that instant boost. My car is not a DD and It does not see the track for right now. I have had several people tell me that I can run up to 6 pounds of boost but do not go over 6psi with my setup. Thanks for all your replies as all of them are helpful.

Reaction score
Speaking of the Kenne Bell, how available are they? I mean, are these units ready to ship or are they backordered forever? I'm somewhat interested in an alternative to centifugal superchargers.

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
96 blue moon said:
That is what I have heard about the roots blower is that you get that instant boost. My car is not a DD and It does not see the track for right now. I have had several people tell me that I can run up to 6 pounds of boost but do not go over 6psi with my setup. Thanks for all your replies as all of them are helpful.

u can go over 6 psi, many people have done it with the head swap, but u will have to run the octane to do so. and a tune will be very very important seeing as you dont wanna see any forms of detonation.

OP
OP

96 blue moon

Reaction score
I agree. I am using 93 octane now with my setup and if I do go with a blower I will be getting a good tune so I won't have some big issues. I do believe that the Kenne Belle 1.7 and 2.1 are available.

94yellowgt

Reaction score
I would do a Kenne Bell with Meth injection. Go ahead and get the bigger Kenne Bell for more room to grow and the fact that it doesn't have to work as hard will keep the intake temps down alittle.

I did put out big numbers with a certri and it is an animal from about 3,500 on up, this D1SC build boost fast. But in a way, I wish that I would have went with a Kenne Bell instead but I got a really good deal on my Procharger.

OP
OP

96 blue moon

Reaction score
Yeah, I am aiming towards a 2.1 Kenne Bell blower so I do have room to grow in the future. The more I think about it I wish that I would have redone the lower end of my motor when I did the PI headswap but at the time I was on a budget. It seems like alot of people are happy with the Kenne Bell roots style blower. :banana:

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
I ran a 10lb Novi 2000 on a headswapped car for about ten month's, and 10k miles, no problems. Don't try for max power, make sure you have plenty of fuel, don't beat on it in the heat, basically behave like you have good sense and you'll be fine. I had double you mileage also. I did break down and build a 9.2:1 stroker for reliability and more boost though :D

OP
OP

96 blue moon

Reaction score
Yeah, I do drive like I have some sense and I am not hard on my car that much. Like you said just take it easy and don't run the car hard all the time. As long as I don't go over 6psi I think I will be fine. I know that I am not the only person that has done a PI headswap and now wants to install a blower on a stock lower end. Thanks for the suggestions. O0

Shocker98GT

Reaction score
Keep in mind that there are different methods used to port P.I. heads. All I've seen grind down the tongue/"swirl fin" to unshroud the intake valve, and most grind down on the quench pad opposite the spark plug. What this means to you: the chamber volume is higher, lowering compression compared to what it would be if it were an "as-cast" P.I. head. For a specific example, the D.S.S. full ported heads (NOT the port match) have a final chamber volume of 50cc, whereas a non-pi head has a chamber volume of 51cc., which is a miniscule difference. Factory P.I. has a volume of 44cc. So in that specific case you could run just as much boost as you would a non-pi head (bottom end being the limitation). I would consult whoever ported your heads and ask what the chamber volume typically ends up being after that stage 2 port job that you have is performed.

OP
OP

96 blue moon

Reaction score
Thanks Shocker98 GT. I will contact the company that ported my heads and get some numbers and go from their. :thumb:

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
Vortech T Trim!

On a DD I'd get a centri instead of the twin screw/roots since you wont always have boost. but thats just me

OP
OP

96 blue moon

Reaction score
Hey Fets, Did you install a PI headswap on your car then went with a blower or just a non PI with a blower?

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Fets said:
Vortech T Trim!

On a DD I'd get a centri instead of the twin screw/roots since you wont always have boost. but thats just me

What does it feel like to drive a blower with a Centri.... I have 4.10's in the rear end and I almost always hit my 3k plus mark when driving... does that mean ill always have the boost goin? Also Ive riddin in a turbo car before, does it have that "just keep puttin your back in the seat feel" during acceleration??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online