Problem with the position of the front wheels, what can be done?

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
How hard is it to adjust the k member? Does it require support of the motor or is it doable without?
I want to wait til after inspection to replace my k member (even though i already have the k member, a arms, and bushings ready to go in.. its just an effort and time thing) but i might be forced to reallign my k member and after seeing this thread yesterday i put my car on the schools lift and sure enough my k member is also pushed back and isnt bent.
You mighy want to replace your hub on the side thats tweaked. My old hub has 2 slightly bent studs and the holes for the studs where stretched out enough to not allow me to put new studs in.. new hub was like $30 off amazon. Just a safe precaution.

OP
OP
Tally_4.6

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
How hard is it to adjust the k member? Does it require support of the motor or is it doable without?

Good question ^

I'm wondering what i should do first, adjust Kmember and do all my suspension. Or do all my suspension, then adjust said Kmember.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good question ^

I'm wondering what i should do first, adjust Kmember and do all my suspension. Or do all my suspension, then adjust said Kmember.

Are you replacing the stock k member? If not, I'd adjust it first, figure out what the deal is. Then throw in suspension. If you are replacing it with tubular, then get rid of it and square up the tubular one.

kb1982

Reaction score
Get the k member squared first, as alot of the suspensions pieces bolt to it. Pick a common point that both sides of the k member has, and hang a plum bob from it. Put tape on the garage floor and mark where the bob lands. Move to the opposite side of the k member to the same point that. Hang the bob there, put the tape down, and mark where it hits. Next, move to the rear of the car. Hang the plumb bob from the lower control arm bolt on the chassis side, put tape down, and mark where it hits. Then move to the opposite side, and do the same. Remember, hang the plumb bob on the lower control arm bolt fartherest from the center of the car on both sides. Next measures the two points (marks you made on the tape) on the drivers side of the car. Write them down. Now measure the marks on the tape on the passenger side. Write that down. Now, you want to make the measurements for both sides match. Cuss scream and kick the k member into submisson until they match. And now, your not done. Next measure from the drvier side k member point (mark on the tape that is on the floor), diagonal to the mark for the passenger side lower control arm point. Write it down. Then do the same from the passenger side kmember mark to the driver side lower control arm bolt. If both the diagnol measurements are the same then that puppy is square. If not adjust it till the are. You want the measurements on both side from front to rear to be the same, and the diagonal measurement for both to be the same. Adjust the kmember until you get this. When this is done, the k member will be square to the chassis, unless your measurement are wrong, your k member is tweeked, our your car and the lower control arm mounting points are tweaked. Kinda the same as squaring up a house. If you want alot better how to, maximum motorsports has the procedure on thier website.

OP
OP
Tally_4.6

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
Thanks for the lenghty writeup man, I appreciate it lol.

Let me see if I can get that done in the next few weeks in my garage

Sent from tha trap house.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Checked my k member and sure enough you can see the whole thing shifted from the bolts.. looks like an easy enough job

OP
OP
Tally_4.6

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
I'm wondering if this is doable with just some of my bros and hand tools?

Sent from tha trap house.

kb1982

Reaction score
Hand tools and 4 jackstands will work just fine. Make sure that the car is level as can be, with all the jackstands at the same height. Just remember to take your time, and make sure nothing is interfering with the plum bob line so that it hangs perfectly straight down. The next most important step, is getting good measurements.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I imagine since some tugging is involved if youre on stands i would set them as low as possible. The higher the jackstand the more unstable it is.. ill be adjusting mine on the schools lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online