Vortech V-2 SQ S-Trim ordered! A few questions...

Reaction score
1. Best boost/power pipe on the market? Leaning towards Modular Powerhouse's 4" Mongoose per blown97stanger's build

2. What gauges do ya'll recommend? I have a boost and fuel pressure gauge in the mail.

3a. What kind of power am I looking at? RWHP?

3b. and should I be concerned about the lower end of my motor?

My sig has my current setup and any other comments/suggestions/advice is encouraged and welcome, thanks!

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm assuming you bought the complete Vortech kit, FMU, inline pump and all? If so there are better upgrades for you than a power pipe, but I's say aroun 380 to 400 rwhp on a stock 8psi kit.

The gauges you got should be fine, actually you don't need the boost, it's just cool to look at. If you can spring for a it a wide band A/F gauge would be priceless.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Jrgunn5150 said:
I'm assuming you bought the complete Vortech kit, FMU, inline pump and all? If so there are better upgrades for you than a power pipe, but I's say aroun 380 to 400 rwhp on a stock 8psi kit.

The gauges you got should be fine, actually you don't need the boost, it's just cool to look at. If you can spring for a it a wide band A/F gauge would be priceless.

Actually, I purchased a "tuner" kit. It excludes the fuel system parts and the computer tune. My installer/tuner will be taking care of this, i.e. Walbro 255lph fuel pump, 42lb injectors, dynotuning with SCT software, etc etc.

Yeah, I thought the boost gauge would be fun to look at too, plus it'll look pimp sitting there :banana:

If you think I'm gonna be making THAT much power, then I'm probably not even going to worry about the boost pipe!

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
look at my numbers, i know im an automatic but 380-400 is extremely generous. Plus im running 11psi. I say closer to 350-360rwhp. good luck

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
I made 408 with a headswapped NPI and Novi 2200. Ported heads and N/A cams. He's pretty similar to me in mods. What are your supporting mods?

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
going by his sig hes running PI cams and non pi heads. I'm currently running full bolt ons, and only a PI intake manifold, which is more similar to his setup. Say what, 20 from cams?? hes in the 360's range.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
360rhwp should be enough to get me to the grocery store and back pretty fast :dancing6:

ripper

Reaction score
I added an Anderson powerpipe and it gave me 2 more lbs of boost. Boost gauge is good to have. You can tell if your belt is slipping and what your boost is at given rpms. Remember that this measurement is the amount of backpressure. Not what your s/c is producing. With your PI intake and cams your boost will be lower than a non pi motor. 8lbs should be plenty safe for stock r/a.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Stevo said:
I added an Anderson powerpipe and it gave me 2 more lbs of boost. Boost gauge is good to have. You can tell if your belt is slipping and what your boost is at given rpms. Remember that this measurement is the amount of backpressure. Not what your s/c is producing. With your PI intake and cams your boost will be lower than a non pi motor. 8lbs should be plenty safe for stock r/a.

So since my boost will be lower, does that mean I won't be making as much power? Or are you saying that because the PI intake/cams breathe better than the NPI intake/cams my boost will be lower (which could be a good thing as far as strain on the engine) but I'll still be making good power???

ripper

Reaction score
sanchezcruz_20 said:
Stevo said:

So since my boost will be lower, does that mean I won't be making as much power? Or are you saying that because the PI intake/cams breathe better than the NPI intake/cams my boost will be lower (which could be a good thing as far as strain on the engine) but I'll still be making good power???

Its a good thing. The difference wont be that much but anytime you can make better flow you get more power. Better flow with less boost is always a good thing. Im no mechanic but I look at an engine as a big air machine LOL. Like an air pump. Most guys look at a motor as a fuel ignitor. I dunno its worked for me so far.

So when is the blower gettin there?

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
sanchezcruz_20 said:
Stevo said:

When you lose boost due to removing a restriction, it's a good thing.

BTW I didn't pay close enough attention, I thought you had PI heads.

ripper

Reaction score
You will be happy with the 8lbs (for a while). The install is just the beginning.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
The blower should be arriving sometime next week... there was some hold up with the Vortech dealer I'm working with. Don't worry though, I'll be sure to post the results before and after the install with graphs when it finally does get installed!!!!

My boost gague, fuel pressure gauge, and gauge cluster bezel all came in this week though.... I might toss those in (unhooked up of course) just to see what it looks like).

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
I checked Summit but they didn't stock the particular setup I was looking for. At just over $2700 I think the kit I purchased was reasonably priced.

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
sanchezcruz_20 said:
Jrgunn5150 said:

Actually, I purchased a "tuner" kit. It excludes the fuel system parts and the computer tune. My installer/tuner will be taking care of this, i.e. Walbro 255lph fuel pump, 42lb injectors, dynotuning with SCT software, etc etc.

Yeah, I thought the boost gauge would be fun to look at too, plus it'll look pimp sitting there :banana:

If you think I'm gonna be making THAT much power, then I'm probably not even going to worry about the boost pipe!

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
I'm going with a non-intercooled set up for right now.... mostly because I didn't want to shell out for the additional cost. Also, I'll most likely add an air-to-air front mount intercooler in the future as opposed to Vortech's water-to-air system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Staff online

Members online