94 GT build thread

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Yep I think they are. I got a set of fox valve covers from my friend but wasn't sure if they are gonna fit or not. My stock covers clear my cobra rockers just fine with the baffle removed. I'm definitely gonna be keeping an eye on your build to see what valve covers you go with. I know the TrickFlow covers work but I don't have anything from TrickFlow besides pushrods so I'd like to find some different ones. And thanks for the link I'm fixing to check that out!

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
Not much progress; just the usual 2 steps forward - 1 step back. Decided to just go with the TFS valve covers since they already had a nice coating on them plus the TFS matches the intake & heads. Also picked up the billet oil fill tube.

Since we were hit with a nice snow storm it seemed like a good chance to finish up the gauge needles and put the final coat on the back using white paint to help reflect the light.

It also dawned on me over the weekend that while assembling things that I didn't use any loctite on the new ARP cam bolt. Soooo, even though progress was made, now I get to look forward to tearing the front cover back off over the weekend just for some stupid loctite.

Couple pics of the new covers and the needles being painted:

DSC_0028 by riored4v, on Flickr

DSC_0030 by riored4v, on Flickr

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
For anyone using or going to use the ARP cam bolt sold by Flowtech, here's some info I figured I'd pass along since I've been going back and forth about taking the front of the engine back apart.
Hi Scott,

That is a custom bolt for FLOWTECH
http://www.flowtechinduction.com/arp-camshaft-bolt-sbf-billet-core/

We made these bolts to Flow Tech specs, they did all of their own testing. You should contact them regarding the Loctite.

Our directions say 60-70 ft/lbs with the ARP Lube, but FLOWTECH is advertising using LocTite.

So, from there I reached out to FTI about it:

Scott,

Loctite is "recommended" but not a necessity. I've sold hundreds of these bolt kits without anything but ARP lube but there are engine builders that have used blue Loctite as additional safety. I'd leave everything together and run the snot out of it.

Ed

Pretty happy that I won't be having to tear things back apart this weekend and will make some more forward progress.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Nice work on the car. Those valve covers look great with that intake.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
This thing is moving really quick

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
Thanks guys. It's moving, just not moving quick enough lol! I really want to get it driveable here soon to enjoy some cruising weather.

Had a couple hours to work on it this weekend and made some small progress. Got the new injectors in along with alternator bracket installed and did a test fit of the valve covers. Next will be to drill the hole for the filler neck. Re-did a bunch of the heater hoses since they were a mess prior to be taken off.

Also was working on installing the new braided fuel lines to remove the the plastic ones that are prone to breaking. Yea... not a fun job. I'll be trying to finish that this upcoming weekend. Also removed the wire harness to re-wrap and freshen it up.

0423161304 by riored4v, on Flickr

0423161304a by riored4v, on Flickr

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
More pics and progress.

Made some solid progress over the weekend but as usual got held up due to some more issues. Issues I ran in to this weekend is the intake not clearing the valve covers. I could probably shave a little off the EGR and TB to make them clear but I'm just going to pick up a small spacer. The bigger annoyance is the new billet pulley for my power steering pump not fitting. Instead of needing to be pressed on, it slides right on with no resistance. So, back it goes and I'll likely just have to paint my factory pulley for now. Hopefully Wazee decides to make more so I can order another one.

That aside, I installed my other Wazee pulley for the tensioner. Also finished up my new braided fuel lines. Removed the wiring harness and recovered and taped it and fixed up a couple issues with it. Got the dizzy stabbed and ready to go. Installed my new ASP pullies. Relocated the a/c line a bit so that they would clear the headers. While doing that I wrapped it with some DEI tape along with wrapping some of the smog lines and fuel crossover lines.

Also worked on reconnecting the electric connections and ran in to another snag. I can't seem to locate the connections for my alternator lol.

New lines:
0430161739b by riored4v, on Flickr

0430161739a by riored4v, on Flickr

New pullies:
0430161739 by riored4v, on Flickr

New wire loom:
0430161740 by riored4v, on Flickr

Relocated A/C line:
0430161741 by riored4v, on Flickr

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
Managed to make some more progress this weekend. Feels nice to finally have the intake back on the car and getting things buttoned up. Did run in to a snag with the EGR tube that I'm trying to figure out. With the long tubes and intake spacer, the tube no longer fits.

Aside from that snag, as mentioned, I got the intake put back on, the alternator harness re-wrapped and freshened up, installed the new intake elbow and the throttle body.

With the billet pulley not working out, I sent it back to Wazee. Found out that he should be getting more pullies for sale in about a month so I decided to freshen up the stock pulley for now until I can get another billet pulley.

Couple pics of the progress:

0507161524 by riored4v, on Flickr

0507161523 by riored4v, on Flickr

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
Progress has been slow between trying to get wedding plans done along with making a quick decision to buy a new house. I've also been fighting the fvcking EGR tube like crazy.

4th or 5th attempt using some copper pipe I've had laying around. Picked up some soft copper this last weekend to give it another shot.
0528161926 by riored4v, on Flickr

I did manage to get around to bolting up the exhaust. VRS catted X pipe and Borla XR1 catback. VRS pipe fit "okay" but the quality of the welds and stuff were fantastic. I had to bend the tubes a little to mate up to the longtubes. No air tube installed on the X pipe so that will be something I'll have to get added/welded in.
0604160938 by riored4v, on Flickr

Borla catback
0604160939 by riored4v, on Flickr

0604160939a by riored4v, on Flickr

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
Tried making the EGR tube again and turns out the copper pipe I was sold wasn't what I needed so off to return it and try once again. Figured since I was there and working on it and did a few random items like installed the plugs, plugged in a few connectors, re-wrapped some wires and install my new PA Performance battery terminals.

2016-06-13_11-18-24 by riored4v, on Flickr

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
The try and try again method worked out... Finally got that damn EGR tube made. Once that was done things started going back together pretty quick. Have nearly everything installed again minus the AFM power pipe. Ran in to a snag with some of the wiring for the electric fan as well.

FINALLY got to hear the car fire up though, even if it was only for a few seconds. Need to get my tune from DirtyDirtyRacing installed.

Copper EGR tube all painted up and done
0722162019b by riored4v, on Flickr

Looks right at home
0724161106 by riored4v, on Flickr

My power steering pulley from Wazee also finally showed up. Complete set now.
0722162019 by riored4v, on Flickr

Mess of wiring from the electric fan. Have the wires were melted and just nasty. Working on re-doing these now.
0722162019a by riored4v, on Flickr

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
2 steps forward, 1 step back. Figured for sure I'd have the car running after this last weekend, but... nope. Finished up fixing the wiring from the previous owner on the fan along with getting the Power Pipe installed. Re-installed my gauge cluster and the steering wheel, installed my chip/tune from DirtyDirtyRacing and went to go fire it off. As we did that, the POS smog pump froze up and the belt melted a flat spot in the pulley.

So, now I'm searching for a new smog pump and pulley and hoping I can get those before the weekend. Also need to order a new filter for the Power Pipe since the one I had was too large.

Power Pipe installed
0813161232 by riored4v, on Flickr

Power Pipe dropped in to the fender. Not much room for a filter. I had a 10" filter but after talking with AFM today they recommend a 6" filter.
0813160940b by riored4v, on Flickr

Computer out and cleaning it up for the chip/tune
0813161046 by riored4v, on Flickr

Done!
0813161106 by riored4v, on Flickr

Back together
0813161232a by riored4v, on Flickr

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
With our wedding less than 3 weeks away, finding time to work on the turd is getting harder and harder but managed to find some more time this weekend. Had a couple things to fix from the last update and got those all wrapped up.

Also got my new H&R springs installed:
0820161917 by riored4v, on Flickr

And FINALLY got the car running! (click for video)
0820161542 by riored4v, on Flickr

Had a minor issue with the electric fan being wired backwards which caused a couple wires to burn up. Going to get that fixed, installed the hood & hood struts and then its off to get it dyno tuned.

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
She's finally back on the ground! Finished up the wiring and installed my Redline Tuning hood struts. Have a dyno tune appt for Tuesday and after that i'll work on cleaning up the car and replacing all the badges and bulbs.

0825161458 by riored4v, on Flickr

0825161458a by riored4v, on Flickr

0825161458b by riored4v, on Flickr

[video=youtube;2a4VWldU-Y4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a4VWldU-Y4[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online