94 GT build thread

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
Decided to start working on some of the appearance mods that I've had laying around forever. Started with the LED bulbs for the tails. Managed to get the passenger side done and then moved over to the driver side. Had a nice surprise waiting for me. Turns out the previous owner replaced one of the sockets with a random socket. Didn't even bother to solder or use connectors for it either. Killed progress for the evening since I went to go order a new harness. Removing all the cobra/SVT badges is next but progress will be at a stand still since I leave for my honeymoon in a few days. Also am working on getting another tune appt setup since the car likes to die coming to a stop.

0915161818 by riored4v, on Flickr

0915161825 by riored4v, on Flickr

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
Received my new tailight harness but haven't got around to putting it in since I've been trying to figure out the rocker noise issue. After adjusting the rockers a bunch of times, and then pulling a spring to check pushrod measurement again, I think I finally figured out the noise. Looks like the body of the rocker is making contact with the polylock. Currently trying to figure out how to resolve this so I can put it back together and work on some of the other items.

1020161911 by riored4v, on Flickr

1020161909 by riored4v, on Flickr

1021161830_HDR by riored4v, on Flickr

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
Went through and ground down all of the rockers and the noise, while quieter, was still there. Used a stethoscope and might have narrowed it down to extremely noisy injectors. Bought a slightly used set to replace these but just haven't had time to install yet.

While I was waiting on the injectors I decided to start working on the rear. Pulled the wheels and rolled the fenders and while those were off I decided to drop the tank. Installed my new fuel filter and am replacing my Walbro 190 pump with an Aero 340. Since nothing else has gone smooth with this car, I'm not sure I thought this would go smooth either.

For whatever reason the previous owner decided to use clay to hold the plug in place on my fuel pump. So, today I ordered up a new harness along with gasket for the pump since he used RTV. Going to work on painting the cover and straps while I wait on those parts.

1126161111 by riored4v, on Flickr

New pump
1126161115 by riored4v, on Flickr

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
Another item done, many more to go. Nothing seems to go smooth with this car but in the end I now have a freshly painted tank cover and straps, fuel filter, wiring harness, gaskets all around and Aero 340lph pump.

Also installed the new set of injectors I picked up to try and eliminate the noise. If this doesn't work then I'll try replacing header gaskets.

2016-12-05_09-11-37 by riored4v, on Flickr

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
Finally got around to firing the car up after putting in the new injectors. Discovered a massive exhaust leak from the EGR tube down by the header. Guessing from all the times I've had to take the car apart that the copper deformed and then the flare pulled itself out of the nut. Wonderful. So, back to the drawing board with that. Have a couple ideas i'm going to play with to try and get that fixed so I can move forward with seeing if the other noise I was tracking down is gone or not.

In the meantime I decided to order some new wheels -
2017-01-09_12-13-04 by riored4v, on Flickr

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The tank looks great! Really blended the looks of the rear together. What brand exhaust is that?

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
EGR tube is fixed, again. Found a stock tube and managed to get it close to fitting. Covered the small 1cm gap with some high temp silicone tube and hoping it will hold up.

Decided to take the car out for a trip to the gas station last night. Definitely need to get it hooked up to a battery tender since I don't drive it nearly enough. Tune still needs to be fixed since it likes to die and getting it re-started required a jump from someone.

Couple pics from last night:
20170131_175910 by riored4v, on Flickr

20170131_175933 by riored4v, on Flickr

Quick clip of it running. After fixing the leak it still seems like there is some excessive noise. Not nearly as bad as it used to be though.
[video=youtube;n2_p1_JJbiU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2_p1_JJbiU[/video]

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
Some minor updates - Readjusted the gauge needles for my gas and temp since they were off after the gauge overlay install. Temp one didn't work since I was using the aftermarket gauge and I since I got around to installing another sending unit in the intake I figured I would also fix the needle.

Also finally got my LED's installed for my turn signals. Interior and trunk are up next. Also trying to fix my speedo since it's still off after installing the SpeedCal. I received a new DIP setting to try out so now I just need to actually drive the car again.

I sent back the last set of wheels. As I started looking closer at them the finish was pretty terrible on them. It was almost as if the wheel had curb rash and then was coated over it. The other set they were going to send out had the same issues. SO, I just returned them and found another set that I think might work out better for me. I think I'm liking these more anyways. Just waiting on the tires to show.

2017-02-14_05-38-58 by riored4v, on Flickr

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
Finally was able to pick the car up from being tuned again. It'll have to go back one more time for some small tweaks to the RPM's hanging a little, but otherwise it runs MUCH better and also picked up an additional 20ft/lbs to the wheels.

While it was at the shop the driver side window regulator went out so I'm going to fix that before taking it back. Since I'll be doing that I figured I would knock out a couple other items.

Since I'll be doing the driver side regulator I'm also going to knock out the passenger side. Also am swapping back to a stock fan. Finally got around to get my tires mounted so I'm going to get those tossed on as well.

Some quick pictures of everything:

Old fan out, new stock fan in-
20170319_133804 by riored4v, on Flickr

Tires mounted -
2017-03-21_12-25-48 by riored4v, on Flickr

Rears bolted up-
2017-03-21_12-25-08 by riored4v, on Flickr

Fronts and rears on-
20170318_152319 by riored4v, on Flickr

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
What made you swap the fan out with a stock unit? I've been looking real hard at getting a fan like you just pulled out.

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
What made you swap the fan out with a stock unit? I've been looking real hard at getting a fan like you just pulled out.

Couple reasons. I didn't like the wiring job the previous owner did when installing it so I wanted to clean that up with a more factory setup. Also, the car was getting a little warm on me last summer so I wanted to try out a stock replacement fan to see if that helped it out.

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
Discovered the issue I was having with the other fan while I was installing the new one. Turns out the wiring that was done by the PO wasn't very good and the connections were loose. Oh well. New fan is in with a new plug and is working.

Still working on putting the new window regulators in but while tackling that I've been installing some stuff I've had laying around for a year or more. Put my new license plate LED's in along with the dome light and glove box LED's.

Currently working on these new badges. Was going to go with black since I wanted to use darker wheels. Since I changed routes and went silver, I'm going to paint these silver and get em tossed on.

2017-03-29_07-39-17 by riored4v, on Flickr

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
While I was painting the new badges I decided to yank the Cobra badges off. Was pretty happy to find out there were no holes behind them. Sooo.. I've decided to not put any fender badges back on.

2017-03-31_08-44-14 by riored4v, on Flickr

Also pulled the SVT badge off the trunk and put on the gel overlay I had made.

2017-03-31_08-45-00 by riored4v, on Flickr

Slowly but surely getting all this small crap knocked out.

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
Finally got my new window regulators installed on both sides. As luck would have it, as soon as those were installed all my switches stopped working. SO - now the car has all new window and door lock switches. Once I did that the windows and locks all worked great.

Also found the missing rod for the door locks that I needed, but of course the locks are missing the plastic piece on the back side that the rod attaches to. Only way to get the plastic piece if of course to order new locks. I'm kind of okay with this though since the previous owner had two sets of keys (one for locks, one for ignition) and the set of locks comes with a matching ignition tumbler. While I wait on those to show up I'm working on other random items like fixing the seal on the quarter windows, finished up the LED lights and vacuuming the car out for the first time since I bought it.

Also discovered the wonderful hole from the previous owner that I patched up:
2017-04-07_11-06-58 by riored4v, on Flickr

The starter in the wifes car went out so I figured it was time to finally get it back out on the road. All the work is starting to pay off though as the car drove great yesterday. First time I've actually enjoyed getting it out for a drive. Need to get it back to have the tune tweaked again as the idle hangs a tad coming to a stop, but other than that it's solid. I think I can finally give the car its first bath since I've owned it and start cruising it.

2017-04-07_09-39-08 by riored4v, on Flickr

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Took it out this weekend after giving it it's first bath. Clearly the bath pissed her off since i was able to get the windows rolled up, and after the bath they wouldn't work. Jumped the motors and managed to get them rolled down, but they seem to be acting up.

Hoping to get it emissions tested here in the next week or two.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online