Completed my Coyote Swap

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Oh hell yea . Those seats turned out awesome . I like all the exterior mods and interior stuff you've done off different cars , plus the glass roof is the coolest

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Everything is so subtle, I love it. The unknowing eye would look in there and not notice, until they ride in someone else's, then they start to wonder what makes yours feel so much better?

That's the stuff I LOVE to do.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Quick update. Two weekends ago I swapped out the panel between the taillights on my trunk. My car came with the "Accessory Package 5" which included an existing trunk panel thingy, hood scoop, side window louvers, side scoops, and a rear wing. I've subsequently deleted the louvers ands scoops, and I liked the OEM trunk panel on the '13s better than what I had on my car. I picked one up used, and installed it on my car.

Here's what my original one looked like:

I pulled it off, and removed all the residue from the double-sided tape. That took a while.

The '13 panel has a bunch of clips on the back that hold it to the trunk. The '11/'12 have no provisions for these clips, so I broke 'em all off with a pair of pliers, then ground them flat for good measure.

Then I slapped on some 3M double-sided tape used for securing this type of thing.

Then BAM, peel 'n' stick. Done!

I like this one better. Easy swap. The hardest part was getting the old sticky tape off.

Paul.

Nacho98

Reaction score
The '13-'14 tail light panel looks great…can't wait for my new '14 to show up.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
My buddy Dan rented out Firebird today so he and his crew could work the bugs out of his suspension in his super fast Chevy racetruck. It's been 6.90s at 210 mph in Vegas, but for some reason it's wanting to make right turns here at Firebird. It's got a Duttweiler twin turbo aluminum big block Chevrolet and a Chris Alston chassis running on a 10.5W tire. Plus, it's just super cool and I really like it. The paint is killer.

Anway, there were a grand total of three cars racing at the track - Dan's pickup, my mustang, and a slow Chevy. I gotta tell you, I've never been to a private track day, and this is the ONLY way to drag race. No lines. No tech. No hassle. No bullshit. No lines. No ricers. No nonsense. I love it.

I got there around 9 a.m. - the whole track was a ghost town all day. It was awesome.

Around 10:00 a.m., I decided to make my first couple of passes. This is the first time I've been down the track in well over a year, so I was all jittery and excited at the line. I missed third on my first pass and never got the timeslip. I hot-lapped it and lined up again immediately one minute later to make another pass. I left easy, hammered it, and speed-shifted my way down the track...

...and BAM!! My quickest pass ever, but quite a margin. My previous best was 13.282 @ 110.04 mph with a 2.184 60'.

12.917 at 107.34 mph

Here's my timeslip:

This was on a totally unprepped, cold lane, and a race weight of about 3820. My tank was full of 87 octane, but I don't know if that really makes a difference or not on the stock tune. The engine and drivetrain are still 100% factory.

Since changing my shocks/struts/springs, the wheelhop is COMPLETELY 100% gone, and drag racing the car now is night-and-day different. Instead of bouncing the axle up and down so hard that my fillings were about to shake loose, the car just spins the tires and wiggles a bit on the gear change. So much better now. As I suspected/feared though, my crappy 305/25/20 are indeed a problem. With my manual transmission, 3.73 gears, and 26" tall tires - I'm hitting the limiter about 100' from the traps. I ride the limiter the rest of the way out, which is why I'm only trapping 106/107 mph instead of my previously consistent 110 mph. If I had a taller tire, or some more RPM, I'd be able to improve my times some more. As is most always the case, my fastest pass came right away in the morning, and I was unable to do better the rest of the day - even when launching in the other lane on a heavily prepped and VERY sticky surface.

Here are the rest of times for the day:
12.94 @ 105.69 mph - 1.971 60'
13.098 @ 106.18 mph - 2.084 60' (hot lap)
12.980 @ 106.06 mph - 1.989 60'
12.988 @ 106.07 mph - 1.934 60'
13.145 @ 106.04 mph - 2.077 60' (hot lap)

You can tell by the consistency of my mph how much the stock rev limiter is hurting me. Either way, I really had a great time at the track. I had forgotten how much fun it is. I'll definitely be back once I've got some stuff worked out, like tires or a tune. I think on slicks/skinnies I could get into the 12.50s with some work, even being a crappy driver. I'd also want to weld my axle tubes for a little extra comfort.

A little cooldown after the first pass.

Since no one was around. I could park my car pretty much anywhere I wanted and take pics. :)

What a great day. I wish all track days could be like this. I have a few videos, but I don't have a Youtube channel or anything so I gotta figure out how best to host those. I have a good one of my 12.94 pass, and a crappy one of my 12.91 pass.

Paul.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
open track, how cool is that?!
I haven't been to the track in soo long. enjoy it man!

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
If you lilke, feel free to email me the videos and I'll upload them to my account. Just include all the descriptive information, custom keywords, and such you'd like to go along with each.

[email protected]

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's sick dude! Always good to knock some time off :D

We're installing 4.10's in my friend '14, I hope it doesn't end up slowing us down at the track lol

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Dude, 4.10s are a bit much. I wouldn't do it. I hate my 3.73s. The MT-82 has really steep gears. For example, the ratios in my 2011 MT-82 are:

1st 3.66
2nd 2.43
3rd 1.69
4th 1.32
5th 1.00
6th 0.65

Notice that you don't get your 1:00 gear until 5th. Most of the guys who are going really fast are using 3.31s, especially on an automatic. So be careful, and choose wisely.

For me, I hate my 3.73s. I wish I had 3.31s, and I just might switch to them someday. For driving around everyday, the 3.73s are annoyingly steep, especially in first gear. I can pretty much cruise around using only first, fourth, and sixth. If I ever get a T56 Magnum, I'm going to get a way shorter gearset with the .50 sixth gear for highway cruising.

Paul.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the guy who owns the car wanted 4.10's, so we'll see. Worst case scenario, you open it back up and switch to something else right ;p

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, but that's a lot of wasted effort and money. I'd communicate the info to him and ensure he's making an informed decision. Coyotes aren't like the 4.6 and 5.0s of days gone by.

Paul.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, but that's a lot of wasted effort and money. I'd communicate the info to him and ensure he's making an informed decision. Coyotes aren't like the 4.6 and 5.0s of days gone by.

Paul.

Sure thing! Thanks for the heads up Paul. I've showed him this thread on a number of occasions. Thanks for your thorough write-ups on everything man!

pilks

Reaction score
Dude, 4.10s are a bit much. I wouldn't do it. I hate my 3.73s. The MT-82 has really steep gears. For example, the ratios in my 2011 MT-82 are:

1st 3.66
2nd 2.43
3rd 1.69
4th 1.32
5th 1.00
6th 0.65

Notice that you don't get your 1:00 gear until 5th. Most of the guys who are going really fast are using 3.31s, especially on an automatic. So be careful, and choose wisely.

For me, I hate my 3.73s. I wish I had 3.31s, and I just might switch to them someday. For driving around everyday, the 3.73s are annoyingly steep, especially in first gear. I can pretty much cruise around using only first, fourth, and sixth. If I ever get a T56 Magnum, I'm going to get a way shorter gearset with the .50 sixth gear for highway cruising.

Paul.
I have 3.55's in my 13 5.0. I chose that rear gear for a good highway cruise rpm. I also chose the 3.55 for the pep off the line and some possible future boost. Im happy with my decision and recommend it.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Did a little work on the car today, despite the heat. I ordered an MGW shifter a few weeks back, and it took a while to get here. Remember when shifters were installed with four bolts and it tooks 20 minutes? Not anymore. This thing is some kind of CNC masterpiece/monster.

Anyway, on to the install pics.

Here were are getting started:

Pull the console:

Remove the factory insulation to reveal the OEM shifter boot.

Yank that shifter boot and you can see the stock shifter.

After unbolting a bunch of crap from the bottom, plus the four bolts on top, you can pull it out.

Here's the OEM shifter assembly. It's a lower box, shifter handle, and rear mount.

Here it is next to the MGW monstrosity. The MGW really is a nice piece, and very well thought-out. They keep making improvements to it and releasing new designs. This is the latest.

After a ton of work underneath the car to get everything bolted in and attached to the shifter linkage, you can put this thing in.

OEM dust boot goes back in place.

Additional layer of mass-loaded vinyl lead-core sound deadener is provided. Pretty nice.

Put on the rest of the factory insulation and connect everything.

BAM! Done. Took about three hours on my back in the garage using jackstands. It also somes with a nice heat shield with extra sound deadener that even Cartech would be jealous of.

I only drove the car two miles, but my first impression is good. Only a tiny bit noisier than stock. Shift feel is firm and tight. The 2-3 shifter is VASTLY improved... no more missing third at the track. This thing has a big ol' spring in it to center the handle in neutral, which makes that shift much better. Now that I have a fancy shifter and some big sticky tires, I'm excited to get back to the track sometime.

Paul.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
YES YES YES! I can't stress the MGW enough to people. I've installed so many I've become a "certified installer" through them. On that note, would you mind if I use your pictures to do a little writeup?

And nice to see you reuse the factory boot now. The previous generation had this other rubber boot, which was honestly the absolute worst part of the install.

Hope you enjoy it, I know it has made a HUGE difference in every car I've done. I have a GT500 shifter sitting in my room waiting to go in another customers car. Really cant wait for that :D

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Sure man, feel free to use my pics to your heart's content. That said, this is by far not even close to comprehensive. (as you know) It's not like my Shelby Recaro install pics. :p

Overall, the install went smooth. The video is really good and describes everything very well. I pondered waiting until I bought an aluminum or carbon fiber driveshaft and doing the shifter install at the same time since it would be a million times easier without the DS in the way, but figured I might as well just do it now. The install would be a breeze without having to work around the stupid driveshaft.

Paul.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I am actually considering removing the one from the gt500 to work around it, though that set up is slightly different. After pulling and installing the drive shaft a number of times now, I would recommend it next time you do one ;p

Just drop one side of the axle back and you can get it out in about 30 mins if you work slowly. I do recommend the Dynatech shaft from American Muscle, after installing one of those, and one from shaft masters, it's obvious the dynatech one is the better choice.

And Jesus you're seat install was nothing short of torrential haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online