Completed my Coyote Swap

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
So I finally finished my 2013 Shelby brake install. I received these way back in June of 2013. The trouble with being a perfectionist is that I won't install anything unless it's just right. I did the rear brakes a long time ago, and they went in without a hitch. Took about a day (because I'm slow), pulled the axles, installed the bigger anchors on the axle housing, swapped the big rotors on, and boom... done.

The fronts were super easy - except that I wanted to paint them because I didn't want boring black brakes. The flat ugly gray on the stock 14" Brembos was boring, and I wasn't going to go to all the trouble to swap on new ones unless I blinged 'em up a little bit. :) I went to the paint store and bought expensive automotive paint in 2000 Ford Mustang Sunburst Gold and 2011 Ford Mustang Race Red. I had the paint put in aerosol cans, and ordered custom-made Brembo logo stencils so I could paint the logos back on instead of using lame stickers. The trouble was, the first few times I tried painting the logos, the stupid cheap black spray paint I was using for the "Brembo" lettering kept peeling off or feathering at the edges when I pulled the stencils. The high quality Race Red paint was coming off perfect. After trying multiple times to get red logos with black lettering, I gave up and went with all red lettering. I'm actually really pleased with how it came out. I sprayed eight coats of clear on it too, which toned down the gold a little bit, and made it kind of similar to factory Brembo gold.

Here's the completed calipers after reassembly.

This is how I started off this morning...

The factory 14" 4-piston Brembos were looking a little sad, oxidized a bit from the wheel cleaner my detailer uses.

I pulled everything off, and installed the tiny new heat shields, which essentially just protect the tie rod end from the heat of the rotor.

Here's a bigger shot of everything pulled off. My old calipers are hanging on a bunjee cord.

All my old brakes piled up on the floor.

This is the GIANT 15", 32-pound rotor installed, and my new caliper hanging from a bunjee cord.

Couple pics of the new brakes installed.

After I finished the install, my buddy Richard came by to help bleed them real quick. The kit from Ford even came with some new motorcraft fluid - it's a really nice complete kit. Here's what everything looks like with the wheels back on and the car on the ground.

...and the whole car with the fancy new brakes. I really like them!

Other than buying some 2-piece rotors, I can't think of much more that I'd like to do to the outside of the car. I'll probably clean up and paint the rear brake anchors and calipers a dark mineral gray at some point for a clean look, but that's minor. I really happy with the way the car looks now, and I'm really glad I stuck with the gold calipers despite all the haters. I could've done Race Red on the calipers with white lettering, but I didn't want them to blend - I wanted them to stick out. I like this color, and don't think it's over the top.

Paul.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
New brakes look great, gold with red letters is perfect in my opinion. That thing has to stop on a dime with those massive rotors

ProKiller

Reaction score
did you disassemble the calipers or just mask off the boots?

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
did you disassemble the calipers or just mask off the boots?

I just masked everything off. That's why some parts still show the original black paint, and the machined surfaces have no paint on them at all. (mounting points, bolt holes, etc.)

New brakes look great, gold with red letters is perfect in my opinion. That thing has to stop on a dime with those massive rotors

It stops fine. But then, it stopped fine before. There is absolutely no need for this much brake on a streetcar - it's all for looks. I'm sure stock 2-piston GT brakes are fine for what I do, let alone 4- or 6-piston monsters.

Paul is alive! Looks great, glad you did gold and didn't do red.

I took a new job, and before last week, hadn't taken a day off since April. It's been busy...

Paul.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well if you took a new job I bet there were a lot of dollars behind it, so we will forgive you ;p

The brakes look awesome dude! Great job!

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Well if you took a new job I bet there were a lot of dollars behind it, so we will forgive you ;p

The brakes look awesome dude! Great job!

Overall, the dollars are probably about a wash, but this job will give me the visibility to get the NEXT job, which is significantly more total compensation.

Thanks man.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Overall, the dollars are probably about a wash, but this job will give me the visibility to get the NEXT job, which is significantly more total compensation.

Thanks man.

Anything worth having doesn't come easy necessarily ;p Good luck!

Mustanger

Reaction score
Shaving feet off your braking distance is always good...I was always lead to believe the bigger brakes did that plus much higher fade tolerances...I once came down the Old Priest Grade out of Yosemite & could not stop at the bottom! Never again! I want the BEST brakes I can afford especially on the street! Good enough isn't good enough. Yes I know the part that the tires have in this too.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I showed my girlfriend your thread last night. You come here and redo this whole project again on my car, ok thank you :)

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I have about twelve grand or so in mods in on the car, so if you supply the cash, we can make that happen. :p

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Damn, that's what I need help with haha! Can we get more pics of the whole car with the new brakes? Good shots of the front and rear. I want MOAR!

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Sorry, those were the only ones I took with the new brakes. There are some additional pics of the car if you scroll back through the thread, but they only show with the mods up that point as I installed them. I don't have too many pics with the new back tires, which made a huge difference in the look of the car.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I was at a car show yesterday at a Ferrari dealership, and I have the same calipers as the 458 Italia. :) (Too bad I don't have their two-piece carbon rotors :( )

Paul.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Great addition Paul. I really like the gold on your car. looks good without being too loud.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Attended No Fly Zone Arizona over the weekend - a half-mile top speed run event at an airport just outside of town. This was the most fun I've had at a car event in quite a while. You get to go flat-out for a full half-mile on the airstrip, then you have another half-mile to stop. My buddy Jamie and I went out there. He was in his 700 hp Shelby and me in my slow Coyote. I was pretty much the slowest car in the place, since pretty much everyone is making at least 600 or more horsepower. It was nuts. There was a twin turbo Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggera that went 208.5 mph. Holy shit.

Anyway, here's some pics.

I didn't take many pics, but here's a few:

I was following Jamie on the way out to get used to his taillights, which would become a theme the rest of the day.

Richard and Jamie

Nasty ZR1 that went 175 mph

Couple shiny new vettes. I raced the black one a few times.

Blue one.

Lots of GTRs out there running.

They have gold brakes, so they must be fast.

A picture of Jesus and some other lesser vehicle.

Shiny red viper. Don't think he was running.

My GF got a ride in this Viper. It went 153.

A new mustang parked where it belongs.

Black GTR. Notice the brakes.

There was a badass Mustang out there with probably the best brakes in the universe.

When this car rolled out of the trailer people were all like :shock:

I got ancy as soon as cars started to run. I yelled at Jamie "let's light this candle" and off we went. He thinks I'm peculiar.

This is what it looks like when Jamie's Shelby runs against a scaled-down version of God.

Me vs myself... since that's the only thing I could beat out there.

Me giving my old mom a ride in Jamie's car.

...and my car headed out.

I ran this black vette quite a few times. He never outran me by much, and I pretty much always had him outta the hole.

My GF is even sexy wearing a helmet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online